sábado, novembro 16, 2013

Project 13 - OwnCloud on Raspberry Pi - IaaS Cloud Service



OwnCloud is used primarily as an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud service. It's built on top of a MySQL database. The program itselfis written in PHP and JavaScript. It now has a new application programming interface (API). This should make it easier to build applications on top of ownCloud's built-in capabilities:



OwnCloud is also a free and open source alternative to services like DropBox and GoogleDrive. To setup your own OwnCloud you need to have a standard Linux Apache MySQL PHP (LAMP) server (see some of my other posts to see how you can about setting it up). 

Should I switch from DropBox/GoodDrive to OwnCloud? If you've got a Raspberry Pi the answer is clearly yes! 
  1. No Space Restrictions
    Services like DropBox give you anywhere from 2 to 15 GB for free but then charge if you want more. With OwnCloud the only limit on your storage size is the capacity of your server.
  2. No Max File Size Restrictions
    Having a "max file size" is one of the things I hate most about cloud storage systems. Some services limit you to a measly max file size of 25 mb!!! With OwnCloud you can decide what the max file size limit is.
  3. Privacy
    When you give your files/data to companies you can never be sure what they are doing with that information. Some companies use your data for marketing purposes or to sell information about you to third parties. Then there is also always the concern that a company may be forced to hand over your data to the government without your consent or knowledge.  With OwnCloud you control who gets the data and how it's used. Also, own cloud can be easily configured to send all client side data through a proxy.
  4. DIY
    Own cloud has a ton of features such as a Calender, Contacts, Music Streamer, Picture Viewer, and an Online Document Editor. But the best part is that there are a TON of additional plugins you can add to extend the functionality of your OwnCloud.
  5. Extra-Features
    Just like with other services you can share specific files or folders, but with OwnCloud you can go a step further and create accounts for your friends, family, or colleges to use.  Own cloud also has client side applications for every platform. You can download client side apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and I-Phone. Own cloud also has version control so that when you modify a file it keeps a copy of the previous version in case you want to roll back. I could go on about other features but needless to say OwnCloud does it all.

Secondly OwnCloud is not just an online locker you can through your stuff into, it has a host of other much smarter features, for example the OwnCloud music player which will keep you entertained while you are accessing your data from your cloud (my usual AOR tracks...):



Since OwnCloud can be accessed from anywhere it also integrates other things which you may need access to such as your calendar (16th November, the day I'm writing this post...), you can view this with your data:



Tasks:



Images:



More so it even gives you the option to save your important bookmarks which you may need since its no good having bookmarked something only to find out that you don’t have access to the bookmark when you need it. Bookmarks will be with you where ever you go on OwnCloud.

Let's get down to business, ie, setting up my ownCloud.


  1. Install with raspi-config:
  2. Package lists' update:
  3. Create ownCloud specific internal user:
  4. Package installation:
  5. Create SSL Certification (1 year validation
    ):
  6. Web Server configuration:



  7. PHP Configuration:
  8. Web Server and PHP Start-up:
  9. ownCloud Installation:
  10. I'm now ready to access my ownCloud (here I've already set up my own URL address to access my IaaS outside my private LAN). The first step here is to choose an user and admin password:
  11. For the purpose of this tutorial I've only used a 8-Gb-PEN, which I had lying around. For a produtive IaaS, just use a bigger disk...:
  12. Syncing ownCloud with my own desktop:

  13. Desktop Agent set-up (only 4.8 Gb available due to the fact that all the SW to make it run occupies around 3 Gb...):
  14. Media Streamer. Here I've used my own favourite (Tomahawk). On the picture down, one can see my own raspbery Pi server (rpibyte.no-ip.org), from which I can stream my own content, be it music or video:
  15. My own local ownCloud Drive:
  16. When accessing ownCloud through the web-based interface we have the same folder configuration as the one above:
  17.  http://rpibyte.no-ip.org/owncloud. And that's that!
Google Drive, SkyDrive Pro, Meo Cloud and now, my ownCloud!!!! Now I have two IaaS:
  1. My own Synology NAS: http://antao.quickconnect.to
  2. My ownCloud NAS: http://rpibyte.no-ip.org/owncloud
NB: Due to their nature they're not available all the time... LOL

Sem comentários: