sábado, julho 05, 2014

"Crocodile on the Sandbank" by Elizabeth Peters

Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters
I had serious doubts about tackling the first in the "The Amelia Peabody" series.


"Crocodile on the Sandbank" is a book that was in my to be read pile for years and years. So much to read and so little time do it.

It was with some trepidation that I started reading it. In the first third of the book comes this gem I knew I would like when, after rescuing a young woman in Rome and hearing how she was seduced and betrayed, the first thing she asked was what sex was like (at the time, Amelia was a spinster who neither expected nor desired marriage...).


I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this...

Voice is one of Peters' strengths. This is why I found her to be so hit or miss. If she’d just focused on telling the story, I think that would come across and her characters would be more fun and charming. When she’s making her points (feminism-wise), I find that the characters and story drag: eg, women are equal to or greater than men. I just kept thinking " just get on with the book!”. This kind of thing pulls me out of the story and interrupts my flow of reading and irritates me deeply.

To be fair, anything that pulls me out of the flow of reading is going to irritate me.

Sem comentários: