sábado, julho 04, 2015

2015: My Reading Half a Year in Review (January - June)

(Click on the image above to check on each of the individual reviews)

Fat letdown of 2015:



(link on the image for my review regarding the book)

And the half a year ends once again...

Books read in 2015: 40 (1.5 books read per week;  6.6 books read per month)

Fiction: 15 (50 %)
  - Crime: 3
  - Science Fiction: 8
  - Historical: 0 
  - Mainstream: 1
  - Horror: 1
  - Spy: 1
  - Theatre: 1

Non-Fiction: 16 (40 %)
  - Biography: 0
  - Essay: 1
  - Physics: 0
  - Computer Science: 11
  - Publishing: 2
  - Poetry: 1
  - Philosophy: 1

Shakespeare: 9 (22.5 %)

Collections of short stories: 0

Published in 2015: 17 (42.5 %)

Published < 2015: 23 (57.5 %)

Number of words written (in 40 reviews and in a few other stuff in-between: Computer Science Texts, Film Reviews, Theatre Reviews, Opera Reviews, Exhibition Shows, etc.): 47328

Number of pages read: 9303 (358 pages per week; 1551 pages per month):


Reading Chart per Month (Abril came out as the winner):


My blog hits around the globe (Booklikes):


This year I'm doing better at reading things published in 2015 than I did in 2014, although I'm still a little bit behind the curve there. The little gadget, as expected, he's having some impact on my reading drive.

Goals for the second half of 2015 are more or less the same as the ones I had at the end of last year:

- Read more altogether by the end of 2015 (>71 books);
- Keep on reading my Rowse (my "Shakespeare in a Year" project will probably be still on hold) in tandem with books with the plays;
- Read more about and by Shakespeare (9 books so far, and counting...);
- Read more non-fiction (e.g., Computer Science, Physics, Poetry)

NB: The 5 Shakespeare plays/books (“Hamlet”, “Romeo and Juliet”, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, “Much Ado about Nothing” and “The Tempest”) I've read this year were read in tandem with the same 5 plays from my Rowse. This means I've read more than 9303 pages...Reading the plays in such quick succession like this I saw more clearly the cross-over in the different plays.  Love being a popular common theme isn't surprising, but I really want to know how many friars were convincing young women to fake their own deaths back then.  And if you don't have to fake your own death there's probably a fairy or some sort of trickery at play in this match making.  Watch out for the plotting villainous brothers.  And surely there is a Duke or Prince nearby for some words of wisdom or to smooth everything over. Shakespeare was a master at just picking elements from a hat and building a scene around them:  Villainous brother, fairies, ship wreck - and go!  He weaves the elements together brilliantly and each play has its own breath and uniqueness.  I'm captivated by different elements in each.  And yet each one I read I was spotting something familiar from the one I had read just before.  That's probably part of their charm.

Sem comentários: