terça-feira, outubro 27, 2015

"The Project Management Advisor - 18 Major Project Screw-Ups, and How to Cut Them off at the Pass" by Lonnie Pacelli


Published 2004.


“- A critical project task that quickly gets to 90% complete and takes forever to get the last 10% done
- You’re about to release your product and a stakeholder that wasn’t involved in the design jumps up and down and causes significant product rework
- Your project team spends more time fighting and finger-pointing than working together to get the project done”

Working in IT, sooner or later, one may have the chance of having a go at project Management. Project Management had been just another part of my life for more than 15 years.

I’ve failed in that role a few times, but in order to have lived one’s life to the fullest, one has to have failed as well…

Sometimes we think everyone’s success is all about luck. We never stop to think that to get there, those people we see having success have failed as well. Everyone has failed. Everyone has failed horribly (I’ve too). Failing is a part of the each one’s story that is life. We all experience failure. We’ve all failed, and guess what, we will continue to fail, because we absolutely need it! Failing is all about the process of trying. Without trying we never have a chance at making it big. The faster one deals with failure, the quicker one is ready for success. Each failure is a stepping stone to success. The problem is some people have trouble dealing with failure. Inconsequence they stop trying. Nothing can happen without the process of trying. Life is all about trying, and taking chances. In life, nobody has a 100% score in terms of success. Failure and success. Two opposites and so different, and yet, one needs the other. In order to appreciate success, one has to appreciate failure. My motto is to live my life, and keep on trying. Be it at Project Management, or at something else. Trying things is living. The biggest obstacle that keeps someone from succeeding is the fear of failure. I’m always ready to accept failure. But I always expect to succeed, because in the end, I will. I’ve always thought my own success can be mapped directly to the number of times I failed, which can also be mapped directly to the number of times I tried. The way to maximize success I always try to give it my all. Sometimes it’s not easy. Motivational factors sometimes get in the way of things. Nevertheless, the only way to truly experience life at its fullest is by trying.

It was quite funny to read about someone else’s failures at project management. I thought they only happened to me…

I’ve been involved in project management for more than 15 years, starting as a project team member. I was also able to make the transition through being a project manager of various hues, to running teams of project managers. As project management goes it has its ups and downs – but overall it was great fun.

Pacelli’s books showed me to fail is normal, but I’m better off if I don’t get used to it, be it project management or anything else…

"Oft expectation fails, and most oft there
Where most it promises; and oft it hits
Where hope is coldest, and despair most fits."

All's Well That Ends Well

Sem comentários: