quarta-feira, novembro 18, 2015

“Shakespeare and I: "Love's Prick"



I decided to take a line from various Shakespeare works and combine it with my own poetry to come up with a collaborative work about love.  I have placed the title of Shakespeare's work where I grabbed the line from in brackets.  The lines without brackets are my own.  I hope you enjoy this “collaboration”.

He's mad that trusts in the tameness of a wolf, a
horse's health, a boy's love, or a whore's oath. (King Lear)
For love has many faces; masks of deception
Why are you virtuous? Why do people love you? (As You Like It)
Pray tell your secret of passion’s inception
That I should love a bright particular star (All’s Well That Ends Well)
But instead the moon casts shadows on my heart
None that I more love than myself. (The Tempest)
Should I then not love another to impart
O, then unfold the passion of my love (Twelfth night)
Yet no man can hold what I sorely desire
And won thy love doing thee injuries (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
The pain of ancient love has cemented, no room to admire
Betwixt us as the cement of our love, (Antony and Cleopatra)
To believe that love can break through any cause
Or, for my diamond, the chain you promised, (The Comedy of Errors)
To keep me imprisoned with the shackles of love’s flaws
So shall I, love; and so, I pray, be you: (Macbeth)
Trapped under a spell with its jagged edge?
We end the heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks (Hamlet)
From cupid’s arrow cast into the dark, and land with a pledge
I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me. (MAAN)
Yet love's prick leaves me to wonder why
I am glad at heart to be so rid o' the business. (Winter’s tale)

I think I felt Shakespeare's "breath" on my neck while writing this, or maybe it was just a draft...
I don't write because of the accolades I get. I write because I love to create. I'm a Maker by temperament and leaning. 
My piece of advice. Do what you love, no matter what, i.e., do what you were made to do, and try to do it well. As a maxim, I always say that whatever I do, I never wait. I never hold my stuff back from the world. If I keep shipping, If I keep creating and sharing what I’ve made, it will get better, eventually. At least I no longer cringe when re-reading yesterday's writing (well most of the time anyway...) 


Sem comentários: