quarta-feira, março 30, 2016

Booklikes Round Robin: Pre-1980 Movies


Thanks to Book Cupidity for coming up with fun meme. I'm copying the original instructions below:




Let's list favorite old (or older) movies. the list can be long or short, with a narrative or no, anything goes. The perimeters is that it has to have been made prior to 1980, I sort of arbitrarily picked this number, and sort of didn't -- for the young whippersnappers, Star Wars is the equivalent to some of our black and white favs. Plus, I think cinema in the 80's had a different feel.

So, tell me some of your favorites! Maybe we will discover new great flicks and new friends. Let's tag the post so that we can search it over the weekend - "Fav old movies'. I will also use the tag 'BL Round Robin".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here it goes: "Johnny Guitar".

(Sterling Hayden)

Johnny: How many men have you forgotten?
Vienna: As many women as you've remembered.
Johnny: Don't go away.
Vienna: I haven't moved.
Johnny: Tell me something nice.
Vienna: Sure, what do you want to hear?
Johnny: Lie to me. Tell me all these years you've waited. Tell me.
Vienna: [without feeling] All those years I've waited.
Johnny: Tell me you'd a-died if I hadn't come back.
Vienna: [without feeling] I woulda died if you hadn't come back.
Johnny: Tell me you still love me like I love you.
Vienna: [without feeling] I still love you like you love me.
Johnny: [bitterly] Thanks. Thanks a lot.

It's definitely one of my favourite movies of all time and I watch it compulsively every year, sometimes more often.

Because of this post, I just had to watch it again.

There are a couple scenes that I find so strong they justify everything else in the film, like the one above, which I can repeat verbatim. I've always compared it to a Verdi Opera. Dramatic? Emotional music? Over-the top characters with punchy one-liners nobody would ever say in real life conversation? Yes, to all of them. I still remember the first I watched it. On a big screen. It happened at the Portuguese Cinemateca in the 80's.
It was raining cats and dogs and the tube had broken down between stations. Because of this I started the movie 20 minutes in, but once I locked on it, it was fascinating to watch. At the time I was simply mesmerized. I'd never watched something like it. At the end of the movie I just wanted someone to talk to.

I still can't give you a reason why I found it so fascinating, it was just intriguing...a very different movie. Try as I might, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was hooked for life.

And the dialogues were just priceless! Totally surreal, baroque, and operatic. What more could I ask of a film?

Off the top of my head, other films of my life: "My Darling Clementine", "2001: A Space Odyssey". "Aurora / Sunrise", "Dishonored", "Senso", "Strangers on a Train", "Ordet", "Dial M for Murder", "Letter from an Unknown Woman", "Abfallprodukte der Liebe", "The Searchers", ...

Sem comentários: