terça-feira, março 01, 2016

I do, I will: "Henry IV - Part 1, Part 2" by William Shakespeare, A. L. Rowse

(My Well of ...)


FALSTAFF

But to say I know more harm in him than in myself,
were to say more than I know. That he is old, the
more the pity, his white hairs do witness it; but
that he is, saving your reverence, a whoremaster,
that I utterly deny. If sack and sugar be a fault,
God help the wicked! if to be old and merry be a
sin, then many an old host that I know is damned: if
to be fat be to be hated, then Pharaoh's lean kine
are to be loved. No, my good lord; banish Peto,
banish Bardolph, banish Poins: but for sweet Jack
Falstaff, kind Jack Falstaff, true Jack Falstaff,
valiant Jack Falstaff, and therefore more valiant,
being, as he is, old Jack Falstaff, banish not him
thy Harry's company, banish not him thy Harry's
company: banish plump Jack, and banish all the world.

PRINCE HENRY

I do, I will.



If you love and know the play like I do, you cannot watch it with a dry eye. This is the part that always gets to me... It's also technically so brilliant. Henry's saying "I do" within the context of the play within the play, acting the part. But in that instant pause, the shift of the verb tense, "I will", he's speaking not within the play within the play, but as himself. Henry's giving Falstaff warning that the moment will come. It’s one of the best interactions between Simon Russell Beale and Tom Hiddleston. This scene, all by itself, (almost) saves this movie version.


(Taken from the "Hollow Crown" show featuring Tom Hiddleston and Simon Russell Beale)

I love Falstaff. One my favourite characters in all of Shakespeare's plays. I must have an utterly vulgar nature, for I simply adore him. Perfectly delightful, with not a fault in his nature... It's Hal I don't like so much... (*smile*). I've always thought Falstaff's charm resides in the fact that he is what I long to be and am not...It's fun projecting on him my frustrated longing for release...

Sem comentários: