terça-feira, outubro 25, 2016

I'm getting stick from GR's staff and the author about the book "A Bullet For Carlos" by Giacomo Giammatteo because of a review I wrote

This is the review I posted on Goodreads:

"Arthur C. Clarke may have been the worst great writer I can think of (probably along with Robert A. Heinlein and Isaac Asimov). Clarke’s prose is workmanlike at the best of times, his characters are emotional ciphers, his dialogue is seldom real, his plots are more like giant landscapes than any credible unfolding of events involving real people, and style-wise he happily breaks every rule of Good Writing. Clarke doesn't care. And know what? Neither do I. Some of things Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein wrote are still among my favourite novels. The rest of this review can be found on my blog."

This is the review I posted on Booklikes and on my blog:

"Arthur C. Clarke may have been the worst great writer I can think of (probably along with Robert A. Heinlein and Isaac Asimov). Clarke’s prose is workmanlike at the best of times, his characters are emotional ciphers, his dialogue is seldom real, his plots are more like giant landscapes than any credible unfolding of events involving real people, and style-wise he happily breaks every rule of Good Writing. Clarke doesn't care. And know what? Neither do I. Some of things Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein wrote are still among my favourite novels. In genre fiction, if I pick up any modern novel, basically the villains are just cardboard characters that have to be locked up or arrested or shot by the good guys. Nowadays modern Crime Fiction is an entertainment genre and it’s huge business (in Britain around 30% of all the fiction published belongs to the Crime Fiction section). Crime Fiction is all about resolution, which you don’t get in real life. Although I have a bit of a reaction to this, it can be very good entertainment if it’s done properly. Along with lots of other readers, I like the way I get sucked into Clarke’s bigger-than-space narratives. I get excited along with his cardboard but engaging characters in the vast spaces, unique vistas he shows us. When I read Clarke, I know I’m reading a fellow geek, a non-artsy-fartsy guy, who was able to produce the wonderful trick of writing Fiction that resembled literary work. Nay, I must not think thus…. Something that is literary. Better than, in some cases. This long preamble takes us to the novel at hand: “A Bullet for Carlos” by Giacomo Giammatteo. Was the constant POV shifting annoying sometimes? Absolutely. Does Giammatteo always move skillfully between the main character’s first-person account (Connie’s) and omniscient third-person narration? No, not by a long shot. Is it comparable with the best Crime Fiction out there today? Nope. Is it highfalutin literature? No. But it was all so damn fun. "

This is what I got from GR’s staff:

“Hi Manuel, We're reaching out because your review of A Bullet For Carlos by Giacomo Giammatteo was recently brought to our attention. It looks like the review was written for a different book. Would you mind moving the review to the correct book within the next three days? If not, we will have to remove it from the site, as it doesn't belong on that book's page. Here's how to move a review: 1. Click here to navigate to your review. 2. Click on "edit" at the far right. 3. Your review edit screen will open. Copy the text of your review and paste it into a safe location. 4. Scroll down and click on "remove from my books." 5. Navigate to the correct book by searching for it in the search bar at the top of the page, and add it to your "read" shelf. 6. Your review screen will open. Paste the text of your review into the review field and click "save." Please let us know if you run into any trouble with this - we'd be happy to help. Sincerely, The Goodreads Team”

This is what I got from the author (Giacomo Dimmatteo), posted on my blog:

"Manuel: the review states it is for A Bullet For Carlos, by Giacomo Giammatteo, but the review is for Arthur C. Clarke."

This is what I posted on GR and my blog:

"I'll post here the relevant section for clarity's sake:

The review is for "A Bullet for Carlos." You're not reading the review properly. I'll post here the relevant section for clarity's sake: "[..] When I read Clarke, I know I’m reading a fellow geek, a non-artsy-fartsy guy, who was able to produce the wonderful trick of writing Fiction that resembled literary work. Nay, I must not think thus…. Something that is literary. Better than, in some cases. This long preamble takes us to the novel at hand: “A Bullet for Carlos” by Giacomo Giammatteo. Was the constant POV shifting annoying sometimes? Absolutely. Does Giammatteo always move skillfully between the main character’s first-person account (Connie’s) and omniscient third-person narration? No, not by a long shot. Is it comparable with the best Crime Fiction out there today? Nope. Is it highfalutin literature? No. But it was all so damn fun."

This is the email I sent to GR’s:

“The review is for "A Bullet for Carlos." You're not reading the review properly. I'll post here the relevant section in bold for clarity's sake: "[..] When I read Clarke, I know I’m reading a fellow geek, a non-artsy-fartsy guy, who was able to produce the wonderful trick of writing Fiction that resembled literary work. Nay, I must not think thus…. Something that is literary. Better than, in some cases. This long preamble takes us to the novel at hand: “A Bullet for Carlos” by Giacomo Giammatteo. Was the constant POV shifting annoying sometimes? Absolutely. Does Giammatteo always move skillfully between the main character’s first-person account (Connie’s) and omniscient third-person narration? No, not by a long shot. Is it comparable with the best Crime Fiction out there today? Nope. Is it highfalutin literature? No. But it was all so damn fun."

As you can see, I make a connection between Clarke's work and Giammatteo's book. What I did has a name: "Close Reading". I don't take kindly to this kind of interference. MAAntão“

Bottom-line: I've been entirely absent from GR's, apart from maintaining my book repository there, just in case. In the past I'd several reviews deleted because of stuff like these. That's why I left. I see everything is just the same. Same old, same old...I don't know why I bother.



Comments: 31
notifications:  yes  no
BrokenTune
BrokenTune2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydelete
GR is just so aggravating. :(
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydeleteedit
I just wish GR's read the reviews properly. Do they read them or do they just skim? They just have to read the review to understand what it's about, and not take into account the fact the review was flagged by the author.
Troy's Blog
Troy's Blog2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydelete
They skim. It's like that in Amazon's customer service dept too. You have to tell them to "read an email carefully, twice, before responding based on past performance" before you get any quality reading from them. They get points for how many fires they can put out quickly, not for how well the fire stays dead.
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydeleteedit
I'm curious what their response will be to my email...I pinpointed what they should be reading...
Troy's Blog
Troy's Blog2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydelete
That they should read at all is probably an affront to their sensibilities. lol
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
Snort. Indeed!
Troy's Blog
Troy's Blog2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
What a beating. One of the many reasons I torpedoed my account.
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydeleteedit
I'm bruised all over...morons (author and gr's staff)...I DELETED MY ACCOUNT! BUT BECAUSE OF WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH BL's LATELY I JUST LOADED MY STUFF AGAIN!!!! BIG FU"#$%&NG MISTAKE!
Troy's Blog
Troy's Blog2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
Live and learn, my friend. GR's owned by Amazon. While I like some of their services, the reviewing side of things on any of their sites is suspect at best. I got out before they started browbeating people for reviews. I was getting browbeaten by fellow fans of certain genres for defending things like the Star Wars prequels or pulp authors from the 20s and 30s. Things apparently got worse after I left, but now it's the commercial side rather than the end users doing it.
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydeleteedit
You're absolutely right my friend. The way I was made, makes me seeth with rage at things like these...
Troy's Blog
Troy's Blog2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
I will not say you're wrong in that response. I'm wired up that way myself.
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydelete
I certainly didn't need any additional reasons for not returning to GR (let alone posting any reviews there), but if I *had* needed any, this would have been 187 too many (187 is the word count of GR's response to your review, at least by Word's reckoning).
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydeleteedit
You're also absolutely right Themis. I don't understand how can they waste the effort on sending me the email, when they could have spend the time reading the review. What I don't believe (i REFUSE) to believe is the fact that they'are siding with the writer, even when they probably know is in the wrong (admiting they read the review to begin with)...
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydelete
They didn't read the review, and they would have sided with the writer in any event ...
Obsidian Claus
Obsidian Claus2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydelete
So they can't read. Sigh.
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydeleteedit
Yes. That seems to be the problem Obsidian. Or maybe my English is not up to par. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing or saying... Or maybe I've just gone bonkers without my noticing it...I'm flabbergasted!!
Obsidian Claus
Obsidian Claus2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
That's a shame, and I hope they get it and back down. It's not your fault they have reading comprehension problems.
Burfobookalicious
Burfobookalicious2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
At least this seems to endorse my decision to move away from GR. The former sense of community among readers/reviewers does seem to be diminished and further compromised by the apparent intrusion of corporate interests, which is worrying for the quality of feedback and debate. In the long run I suspect such sanitizing may prove counter productive.
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books
Themis-Athena's Garden of Books2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydelete
You're doubtlessly right -- unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have made a difference on either Amazon or Goodreads in years and years. :(
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydeleteedit
I'm in two minds whether I shouldn't delete my account once again...
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
All it takes is ONE complaint by an author and any review is up for censoring on GR now. I'm sorry you are dealing with this [on your blog no less] but I hope you lambast the writer.
Every time I even "wonder" about perhaps, maybe just a smidge, going back to GR I hear something like this and it just reinforces that I CAN'T go back to a place like that.

I'll comment on your blog later this evening, unless you'd rather I didn't :-D
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydelete
reading the whole thing again, what they're going to get you for is posting a NON-majority of your review on GR with a link to the rest.
That is how they shut out my reviews now.
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
and that is a review from 2014. Did the writer JUST complain now?
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydeleteedit
Yep. Two years later...Go figure!
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydeleteedit
Bookstooge, feel free to write whatever you want. Freedom of speech and writing above everything else.
Murder by Death
Murder by Death2 weeks ago+2 / -0replydelete
Bookstooge is right - they're going to claim that the review -as it stands on GR- isn't a review of the book by that author; they really don't like review summaries that redirect the reader off GR at all. Because the portion you posted on GR is the preamble of your full review, and doesn't mention the author's work at all, they'll use it as justification for deletion.

Of course if they weren't sell-outs to censorship in the first place, nobody would feel the need to redirect people to off site reviews.
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road
Bookstooge's Reviews On the Road2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydelete
Antao, I posted my comment but I'll probably end up deleting it. Gestapo comparisons were a bit much, even for me :-D
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydeleteedit
Boostooge. Just read your take on the issue. I'm still lmao here, and I'm already at work. Priceless...thanks. Much appreciated.
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+0 / -0replydeleteedit
Murder by Death. You're quite right of course. It's a battle lost. These corporate types only see what they wanna see. No use arguing. But what about the author? Why do they loose sleep over things like these?
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios
Musings/Träumereien/Devaneios2 weeks ago+3 / -0replydeleteedit
I've just received a twitter notification from the author repeating the same stuff he left on my blog previously...I'm speechless...I told him to go and re-read my review. If he has any doubts, I'm available to give private tutoring...
Troy's Blog
Troy's Blog2 weeks ago+1 / -0replydelete
Bravo.
http://booklikes.com/photo/crop/30/30/upload/avatar/8/b/azure_8bbd602b10d21482082dcb77df3da221.jpg


Sem comentários: